Yammer Content Goes Social: Introducing Ticker, Pages, and Files
Today represents a major milestone – a truly exciting day for Yammer users and Yammer employees alike. Ever since its launch in 2008, Yammer has been on a mission to enable a more open, collaborative and connected enterprise that’s agile enough to respond to the demands of today’s business world.
In the beginning, it was about connecting people and conversations. Earlier this year, with the introduction of the Activity Stream API, we extended Yammer to also encompass business data. Now, with the launch of three pivotal features – Ticker, Yammer Pages, and Yammer Files – Yammer makes content social, bringing together business people, conversations, data, and content into a single interface optimized for social discovery. These new features will allow users to create, share and discover content while collaborating on projects and receiving updates from other business applications in real-time.
Surface Relevant Information in Real-time with Ticker:
Imagine if you could see what your colleagues are working on right now. You could quickly and easily discover interesting business content, eliminate duplication of work, and increase opportunities to collaborate. Ticker is a powerful social discovery engine that lets you do just that: View real-time activity across the company as its happening, surfacing relevant stories around people, content and third-party business applications to drive productivity.
- Yammer-Generated Stories: Discover relevant activity across your Yammer network as it’s happening, such as: creating/editing/publishing a page, uploading a File, joining a Group, and downloading a Yammer mobile or desktop application.
- Stories Generated in Other Business Applications: Access a superset of activity streams from business applications such as SharePoint, Salesforce, Netsuite, Box.net, Badgeville, Spigit, Tripit, Brightidea, Zendesk, Expensify, and any other enterprise application using the Yammer Activity Stream API.
Collaborate Faster and Better with Pages:
What do you get when you combine the open nature of wikis, the real-time collaborative editing of Google Docs, and the advanced social capabilities of Yammer? You get Yammer Pages!
With Yammer Pages, you can compile meeting notes, brainstorm ideas, collaboratively draft up content, display company reference materials, and much more. Making a Page is as easy as creating a document, and you can even edit with coworkers in real-time and make them socially discoverable across the company.
- Rich Page Editor: Create and edit Pages with coworkers no matter where they are. Invite collaborators and view character-by-character changes in real-time as others make edits to a Page.
- Rich Page Viewer: View the contents of a Page along with related conversations, content, and people in one place. You can also follow a Page to receive updates when new versions are available. You can think of it as a profile for a Page, similar to a user profile.
- Group Pages Tab: View all Pages created within a specific group.
- Pages Directory: View all Pages to which you have access within the entire network.
- Page Selector: From the publisher, select a Page from a repository of all Pages to which you have access inside your network and attach it to a conversation.
Files Are More Social Than Ever:
File sharing isn’t new to Yammer. You’ve always been able to upload a file and attach it to a conversation. Now Yammer Files bring a new level of collaboration to your documents, images, and videos. Now you can also quickly share new or previously uploaded files in the context of projects, keep track of file versions, accelerate discovery, and even integrate with existing content management systems.
- Rich File Viewer: View the contents of a File along with related conversations, content, and people in one place. You can also follow a File to receive updates when new versions are uploaded. You can think of it as a profile for a File, similar to a user profile.
- Group Files Tab: View all Files created in a specific group.
- Files Directory: View all Files to which you have access within the entire network.
- File Selector: From the publisher, select a File from a repository of all Files to which you have access inside your network and attach it to a conversation.
- Integrate with Existing Systems: Automatically share file-related activity via Ticker to accelerate discovery and increase opportunities to collaborate. See Ticker section below.
Ticker, Pages, and Files are available immediately on Yammer.com, for free. We encourage you to try these new features today to better understand what it means to make content social, and experience the benefits of a connected enterprise.